This week, we’re taking inspiration from Taylor Swift‘s interview with Seth Meyers last week. Even if something’s not been DONE before, it’s ALWAYS worth speaking up for yourself and honouring all that you bring to the table.
I love that she’s taking total ownership of her creativity, her experience and doing it with humour as well as changing the industry (I imagine she’ll inspire other artists).
I also love the way she talks about experimenting with genres when she was initially recording the album, how time truly has healed (and helped her relax) and also recognising the pressures she was under as a ‘shiny new artist’ when she was suddenly no longer so shiny with real grace and humour.
How about you?
Grab your journal (if you want to) and think of potential parallels between your life and Taylor Swifts’:
- Have you ever felt exploited at work or in any other situation?
- How did you handle it?
- How do you wish you’d handled it?
- How might imagining Taylor Swift’s response (or anyone else you admire) might have inspired you? She used a lot of Skillful Will in psychosynthesis terms
- Can you send some love back to Younger You knowing you did the best you could at the time?
- Have you ever felt more successful than you ever dreamed?
- How did you handle that?
- How did you handle things when, as Taylor recounts, nobody even looked up in the party?
- What – with the benefit of hindsight – would have helped you get through this post success slump?
- In ANY situation in life, how might you amp up your self care even when it feels really challenging to speak up for yourself? You’re probably not Taylor Swift but you can probably think of times where other people expected you to stay in a box that suited them rather than having your own needs, wants and demands. How might you own your RIGHT to want what you want? Not at anyone else’s expense but in terms of being able to have that clarity?
When you think about your life and/or work, what stands out right now as you think about a boundary you are scared to set but know you need to?
Feeling fear and residual people pleasing? Shake it off (sorry) and know that you have a right to be you.
Please feel free to share this post on your social media etc so others who may find it helpful can read it.
DOWNLOAD FREE MIND BODY PRACTICES AND THERAPEUTIC SELF CARE COACHING TOOLS HERE
FIND FEEL BETTER EVERY DAY WITH EVE MENEZES CUNNINGHAM ON SOCIAL MEDIA (Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn and Facebook) HERE
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.